How to Measure Nonpalletized Freight
EXAMPLE: If the length is 25 inches, the width is 24 inches and the height is 23 inches, multiply them as follows:
- 25 X 24 X 23 = 13,800 cubic inches.
- Convert cubic inches to cubic feet by dividing the cubic inch total by 1,728—the number of cubic inches in one cubic foot. For example: 13,800 divided by 1,728 = 7.98 cubic feet.
- Dividing the weight of the shipment by the number of cubic feet will provide the density. For example: 90 pounds divided by 7.98 = 11.27 pounds per cubic foot.
How to Measure Palletized Freight
EXAMPLE: If the pallet is 46 inches long, 42 inches wide and 6 inches high, add the height of the pallet to the height of the shipment (23 inches) for a combined height of 29 inches.
- 46 X 42 X 29 = 56,028 cubic inches.
- Next, convert the inches total to cubic feet by dividing 56,028 by 1,728 = 32.42 cubic feet.
- The density then equals the weight 120 (90 pounds for the shipment and approximately 30 pounds for the pallet) divided by the cubic dimension: 120 divided by 32.42 = 3.70 pounds per cubic foot.